Prom season is here and with that comes a multitude of teen drivers out on the road when they might otherwise not be. According to national statistics from the CDC, teen drivers ages 16 to 19 are three times more likely to be in a fatal crash than drivers ages 20 and older.
During prom season, there are increased emotions and distractions in the air. These translate directly to drivers behind the wheel. Most crashes are caused by driver error, speeding, and distractions; all of which are preventable.
Take the advice of the staff here at Cambridge Classic Ford when it comes to prom and being behind the wheel.
- If at all possible, go with a group and pitch in to rent a limo for the night. This keeps an experienced driver behind the wheel and gives you the freedom to concentrate on taking pictures and having fun.
- If renting is too expensive, ask a family member to drive you around. As long as they are there at the appointed pick up and drop off times, you’ll have one less thing to worry about for the night.
- If you are going to be driving, do a safe driving inspection prior to prom night. Bring it in to the service center at Cambridge Classic Ford and we can take care of it for you.
- Limit the number of passengers in your vehicle, even if it’s a limo. Everyone needs to have a seat belt.
- Buckle up! You may not want to chance the wrinkles, but it will save your life.
- Be on time. That will keep you or your driver from speeding to your destination.
- Be aware of your surroundings, both on the road and off.
- Always have a back-up plan. In case you get a flat tire or break a heel, you need to have someone you can call in the event of either emergency.